PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion Board > Archive > Questions & Answers

Notices

Questions & Answers Do you have a problem you need a straight answer for? Ask a question here and get an answer.

Old 26th April 2014, 11:28 PM   #11
nikola22

nikola22

It is still returning me to the title screen when May sends out Joltik, even after I insert that sprite, so I'm not sure if the background is visible in game or not. Should I start again with a backup ROM? Or is this fixable?
nikola22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 27th April 2014, 08:01 AM   #12
Xanathos
Beginner

Xanathos

Did you test with another picture which fits well? I mean find one which doesn't make trouble and use the same features for this picture.
Xanathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 10:17 AM   #13
nikola22

nikola22

Do you know what I'm doing wrong? Or what type of image I need to use?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I don't want to dwell on one sprite for too long, I just want to know how to do it right and then keep trying until it works, then I know how to insert sprites in future
Old 27th April 2014, 10:25 AM   #14
MikaruMenoko
Ice Fairy

MikaruMenoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikola22 View Post
It is still returning me to the title screen when May sends out Joltik, even after I insert that sprite, so I'm not sure if the background is visible in game or not. Should I start again with a backup ROM? Or is this fixable?
First of all, use a backup ROM because it seems messed up so badly.

Then, try this. If you have Photoshop, index the Image by selecting Method ► Colour Scale (May be different, I have Photoshop in Italian).
Spoiler:

Set the window that appears like this (And make sure to disable Dithering), then click Personalized:
Spoiler:

Click on the 1st square, then in the colour selector click the background colour of your Joltik, and finally click OK.
You should have something like this.
Spoiler:

Now click OK, save your indexed image and import it in the game.

Last edited by MikaruMenoko; 27th April 2014 at 10:48 AM.
MikaruMenoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 11:39 AM   #15
nikola22

nikola22

I don't have Photoshop so I use IrfanView.
Using the advice from this thread and tutorials this is what I have done (I'm not using Joltik because this is the same ROM and the Sandshrew space is messed up now):

Step 1
Spoiler:

Step 2
Spoiler:

Step 3 - what Icey told me to do?
Spoiler:

Step 4
Spoiler:

Step 5 - This step seems pointless but it is what somebody did on a PC tutorial
Spoiler:

Step 6 - Now I can't even get the sprite in the game at all
Spoiler:

If I make it 16 colors again it goes back to having the black background with white outlines. Am I supposed to insert it like that?

Why do I have all the bad luck? I wish I could just get a sprite and put it in the game without messing up.

What have I done wrong with my method?

Last edited by nikola22; 27th April 2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 27th April 2014, 12:08 PM   #16
MikaruMenoko
Ice Fairy

MikaruMenoko

It's because the background color MUST be the first one in the palette order.
So if you want to use that black, it must be the first palette color.
Old 27th April 2014, 12:58 PM   #17
nikola22

nikola22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaruMenoko View Post
It's because the background color MUST be the first one in the palette order.
So if you want to use that black, it must be the first palette color.
I wanted to use gray as the transparent colour, which is why I swapped it with black to make it the first palette colour. But then when I made the background gray it said the image wasn't indexed, and when I index it, the palette goes back to the way it was before and I can't do anything about it.
Old 27th April 2014, 01:01 PM   #18
MikaruMenoko
Ice Fairy

MikaruMenoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikola22 View Post
I wanted to use gray as the transparent colour, which is why I swapped it with black to make it the first palette colour. But then when I made the background gray it said the image wasn't indexed, and when I index it, the palette goes back to the way it was before and I can't do anything about it.
Because if you edit the palette, colors also change to fit the new palette setting. You need to copy the image when it's not indexed, index it, reload it and paste it over.
Old 27th April 2014, 01:31 PM   #19
nikola22

nikola22

Okay I'm really getting myself confused here. I've done everything you said but I can't seem to make the background transparent AND the image indexed at the same time. Can you/somebody run me through step by step what I should be doing?

Sorry to make such a fuss and bother, I'm new to hacking as you can probably tell
Old 27th April 2014, 03:31 PM   #20
Ewery1
Buizelmaster

Ewery1

You are editing the Pokemon's Sprite correct? If so I recommend using http://www.pokemonhackersonline.com/...-Hacking-Suite

Tags
backgrounds, sprite, visible