PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Homebrew & Coding > Homebrew Projects

Homebrew Projects Working on a Homebrew project of some kind? Come and show it off!

Old 13th May 2015, 10:19 AM   #61
Slawter
n00b

Slawter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post

It's similar, but not identical. Obviously, hardware limitations dictate just how much you can actually do with the tile system. The tiles themselves are all but identical, albeit I render them in a slightly different way.
So animations aside, would I be able to import any tileset (custom or otherwise) from a current ROM hack and it work without having to do any edits?

Also, I hope you do find the motivation to continue with this, I've been ROM hacking on and off since 2008 as I can't seem to let it go, and in all the time I've been doing it and browsing the forums, nothing has got me as excited about a project as this has, so at the very least one person really appreciates the time and effort you've put in even considering a project such as this
Slawter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13th May 2015, 09:27 PM   #62
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff

Jambo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawter View Post
So animations aside, would I be able to import any tileset (custom or otherwise) from a current ROM hack and it work without having to do any edits?
Should be able to, aye

Quote:
Also, I hope you do find the motivation to continue with this, I've been ROM hacking on and off since 2008 as I can't seem to let it go, and in all the time I've been doing it and browsing the forums, nothing has got me as excited about a project as this has, so at the very least one person really appreciates the time and effort you've put in even considering a project such as this
Managed to do a bit today, despite the problems I had with my electricity supply.

Currently working on converting the whole engine into OO C++ code, which is taking a very long time, as you might imagine. However, it'll definitely be worth it in the long run because the code will be vastly neater. Plus, I don't need to manage heap storage because C++'s new and delete (and the underlying malloc) work just fine on GBA!

Will need to try to work out how to interact with the malloc system to integrate it into the sprite and palette allocation systems I want to build, though.
Old 19th September 2015, 07:57 PM   #63
Slawter
n00b

Slawter

Has there been any progress in recent months?
Old 19th September 2015, 08:28 PM   #64
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff

Jambo51

Quote:
Has there been any progress in recent months?
Quite a bit, but since I am now working full time, development time has been severely restricted.
Old 19th September 2015, 11:53 PM   #65
Slawter
n00b

Slawter

Quote:
Quite a bit, but since I am now working full time, development time has been severely restricted.
Understandably so.

What features have you been working on and what's still left to do?
Old 3rd October 2015, 02:56 AM   #66
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff

Jambo51

Quote:
Understandably so.

What features have you been working on and what's still left to do?
I've nearly fully implemented the options menu and I've also partially implemented the load game screen. I also implemented the pause menu in the main game. See the following screenshots for some idea of what I mean, inside a spoiler to protect bandwidth.

Spoiler:

I've done a lot of work on scripting, though the engine does not fully work as yet.
Old 20th March 2016, 01:01 PM   #67
Slawter
n00b

Slawter

How's this project coming along?
Old 16th May 2016, 06:25 AM   #68
gameover
n00b

gameover

Quote:
Should be able to, aye

Managed to do a bit today, despite the problems I had with my electricity supply.

Currently working on converting the whole engine into OO C++ code, which is taking a very long time, as you might imagine. However, it'll definitely be worth it in the long run because the code will be vastly neater. Plus, I don't need to manage heap storage because C++'s new and delete (and the underlying malloc) work just fine on GBA!

Will need to try to work out how to interact with the malloc system to integrate it into the sprite and palette allocation systems I want to build, though.
Thank you for sharing
gameover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 08:15 PM   #69
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff

Jambo51

Quote:
How's this project coming along?
My computer died not long after the last update I gave you. As a result of this, I lost months of progress on the engine.

Off the back of that, I somewhat lost interest in the project until about a month ago where I started to actively work on it again.

However, most of that time was spent bringing the engine back to the point that it was at before the computer death. The only real progress I've made is that I have a somewhat functional intro to the game now - that is, you press new game and it does the whole professor intro thing.

Tags
engine, homebrew, jambo51, pokemon